we, elliot and i, decided that to make sure this day was gonna be a good day we would make cupcakes and decorate them with the icing left over from the last mutual activity. it was a lot of fun and it felt good to really be making an effort to have fun with my kids in a new way. elliot was so excited! we didn't have time in the morning, but we said we would make the cupcakes right after preschool. well, on the way home from preschool elliot said he wanted to play computer games and play in the leaves. i asked him if he would rather play computers games, play in the leaves, or make cupcakes. "cupcakes! cupcakes! then computer games, then play in the leaves. is that ok mommy?" so that is what we did. we had a great time. it's great how even when you have a terrible emotional day, you can wake up the next morning and say, ok, so what can i do today to make the day different. basically it was an up day. i know my Heavenly Father heard me in my prayers the night before and was with me. He has such power to bring patience and peace that sometimes i cannot find within myself. to Him i am grateful.
here are the pictures
this is elliot's cute book that he found the idea in.

he filled all the muffins tins by himself! way to go elliot!!

juice box. perfect activity for waiting for cupcakes to cook. well, for 3 minutes maybe. we ran out to play in the leaves. then elliot got to play on the computer until daddy came home.

after dinner we got the icing out (notice how short the cupcakes are, they were perfect for little hands) . . .

loaded it on with sprinkles and other cute stuff . . .

sammy kept sneakin little bites. . .

took our "done" picture (click on the picture to see detail) . . .

then, yum . . .

jeffrey . . .

thanks for anyone who gave me encouraging advice. i have so many great friends. thanks!
11 comments:
Those cupcakes look so cute! That looks like a fun activity. I'll have to try it with my boys. Thanks for the good idea! :)
Also, just to comment on your last post, I completely understand where you are coming from. Some days are so hard and trying, and the next can be the best day ever. It's a constant struggle of patience and endurance. You seem like such a great mom! :)
You are such a beautiful mom. You do so many great things with your boys. The cupcakes look so great- don't you just love watching them POUR on the sprinkles??? I meant to comment on your other post, so here it is a little late! It's a never ending struggle within to try to be patient and happy. Things change as they grow older and it really does get easier. I remember feeling the same way & wondering why I was always mad. There are still days, but we have a lot of fun together- laughing and joking. Don't wish it away, though. As a wise man once said, "Find joy in the journey." Love you!
Great job on the cupcakes. Lucy always seem to have a better day when I do something fun with her like that. I feel like in order to have a good day I have to be creative and have tons of energy, if not she gets bored with me. I am always looking for the creativity and energy to keep her happy. I know you do a great job with the boys--look at how happy they are.
Those cupcakes look delicious...we'll be right over to take a taste! (I wish!)
When I read your last post a few days ago I was just so grateful to know that somebody else has down days too. I think I have about 10 down days for every one up day. :) Being a mom is so hard, but I have always looked up to you. I still remember you giving me that pamphlet on mothers by President Benson when I was having a rough time with being a mom. Thank you for always being such a good example to me.
You're such a great mom! What a fun day! We sure love you guys! Hope you have a good day.
Eric
How fun! I wish I could come up with fun ideas like that. Way to go and inspire me:) AND, your hair is getting so long. I really like it. Are you keeping it long? Anyway, you're a babe and an awesome mom. You've always been a great example to me. Love you!
What a creative and fun idea! We love to see how much fun all of you are having. Great pics.
see what a great mom you are! I miss you. Thanks for the sweet card. We received it awhile ago. I am just still trying to figure life out with a baby. It is so different. P.S. I love that your hair is getting long. It looks great.
May we say INCREDIBLE mom! I hope Annie will want to spend time with me like that. How flattering! And job well done. Look at those beauties. No doubt they are just as tastey as they are good lookin'!
i love seeing you spend quality time with your family. i know it takes determination and effort but you do it!! you're a constant inspiration to me. i also love keeping up with elliot and sam- i miss them so much. sam looks older in that picture with his grandpa. loves...
Oh MaryIrene! You and your children are so cute! I love how you had such a positive outlook on the day! What a great quality that is! You are just simply amazing. I miss your family in our ward!
-Kelli
Post a Comment