Wednesday, February 4, 2009

a quick update

i felt like i needed to give an update on the binkie situation. we are nearly there, but i did give in a little. let me explain. sammy did wonderfully the first day. he took a nap like usual and went to bed with no problems at all. i was thrilled. well . . . the next day he would not take a nap. he played in his room for 2 hours. i was so frustrated because i had to keep going in and telling him to lay down and go to sleep. he would respond with his goofy smile and laugh at me. i was not amused. that night he went to bed no problem, except he is becoming very good at stalling. he seems to need to pee and poop right as daddy turns off the light. oh well, he goes potty and then goes to sleep. the next day at naptime, same thing. he wouldn't take his nap. i was nearly in tears. i know that sounds funny. who cries when a little kid won't take a nap? that shouldn't be something to cry about. well, i had high hopes that sammy would nap at least until he was 3, if not 4. i know a lot of kids do. elliot stopped napping at 2 and it made life hard. every mother needs some sort of break during the day. without one i nearly lose it, seriously. so i gave in. i searched and searched for a binkie, hoping we had one hiding somewhere that i hadn't cut up. no luck. just then i remembered i had put a pack of binkies in our 72 hour kit . . . or had i already used those? i searched our two backpacks that contain our 72 hour kit and didn't find it. i thought to myself, "i can't do this. there has to be one in there!" so i looked through both backpacks again and sure enough there it was, an unopened pack of binkies. "aaah. i can breathe again," i thought. so i went into sammy's room and found him sitting on elliot's bed playing with the blinds, laughing. i asked him if he wanted his binkie for naptime only and his face lit up. i rocked him, layed him down, and didn't hear one more sound. so maybe i have saved myself. i just have to have him continue napping. my sanity requires it. since then he has gone right down each day for his nap, and at bedtime he goes to bed without it with no problems. someday we'll give it up 100%, but i guess this time it was me that wasn't ready.
so there you go. that's my story.

oh and hooray for 72 hour kits. they come in handy for all kinds of emergencies!

14 comments:

Paige said...

I know what you mean about losing your sanity. Except I need to work on mine 'cause I start losing it if Reagan only takes one nap a day. I love that little time to myself to get stuff done & take a breather & do something I want to do for a change...

Debbie Lawrence said...

I am totally with on this one. I NEED my kids to take a nap! The day they stop will probably be the day I stop being a nice mom. :) Really, good luck with that. It is the little things like this that make being a mom so stressful!

rachel said...

So true on the nap thing. I need Simon's nap time so much. Thanks for the update. I think you are awesome!

Teri said...

I agree with you and everyone else; kids need naps for the mom's sake! If Amy doesn't nap very well, Aaron comes home to a very grumpy wife!!

Aaron said his mom used to put nasty tasting stuff on his pacifiers and he quickly gave them up. Good luck!

hebgengirl said...

See- that's why the prophet has commanded us to be prepared! Way to obey. You just got blessings. HAHA!

Maren B said...

I don't blame you for giving in--Mom's sanity is top priority for happy families. Maybe you can wean him off it in smaller steps.
PS I have cried out of frustration a time or two when Eva refuses to sleep. Yup, it has happened. And I don't even think it's weird.

allison said...

i am so impressed that sammy is already potty trained! who cares if he still uses a binky.

Rob and Marseille said...

I've decided Christopher is done with naps unless he's whiney/crying before 2pm. If he plays quietly in his room other days at that time, great! (course, sam is a year younger than Christopher). And we always watch 1 movie every day, no fail. Is he going to preschool next year?

Laurie said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Carol won't nap anymore. I still put her in her room for an hour and a half every day and tell her that if she isn't tired she can just play with her toys. Then I put the gate at the top of the stairs and relish my alone time. If she stands at the top of the stairs and calls my name I go hide in the basement. Good luck!

Lori and Matt said...

Naps are my lifeline- if they are skipped I morph into something no one wants to be around! Thank goodness for being prepared!

Melissa said...

I totally understand about the naps. Soren is only taking 2 hours worth of naps and he use to take like 5 hours. I know I shouldn't complain, but that is a lot less me time, which I think we all need sometimes. I am dreading the day when I have to get rid of Soren's binki. You are brave.

Laura said...

I cannot imagine what I will be like when my kids don't take naps anymore. I've decided that they'll have quiet time to play in their room even if they do not sleep...that's my idea but we'll see if it works like I imagine it will. :) Good luck!

Porters said...

You know Laneah did the exact same thing. (We cut the binkies and everything...um I mean they 'broke'). Well she didn't nap well at first, but once she got used to it she went back to her regular naps. :) Good luck!

Ashley DeMille said...

I am with you and everyone who said they need their child to take a nap. I sometimes get close to tears if my kids don't go done either! It is so hard to be a nice mom when you don't get any time to yourself. Do what works best even if that means giving the binki back! Good luck!